Monday, June 16, 2008

Veggies Veggies Everywhere

The garden has been giving us lots of vegetables to eat. I've made some baby food for Leland with the green beans,he really loves them... maybe he can try zucchini next. Today I started pickling some cucumbers, its my first time doing it so hopefully they come out okay. There was one cherry tomato that was ripe so I ate it for a snack since it was just one... there are more green ones that will be ripening soon. A few days ago I planted some more radishes, beets, carrots, and green beans. I also added broccoli, swiss chard, and lettuce which have already started sprouting. Below our bathroom window I planted sunflowers that have grown about 3 inches tall already. My plan is to use them in vases to "prettify" the house and also attempt to harvest the seeds for future planting and eating.



We discovered that the tree in our side yard is a plum tree so I looked up how and when to prune and take care of it online. It turns out that they need to be pruned in June... kinda weird but we did that today and ended up with a bunch of plums. My Mom says they will ripen off the tree so in a couple days we'll we having a plum feast.


I haven't been able to get much information about these kind of plums, but from what I can tell they don't get very large. There are a lot of plums that have ripened and fallen off the tree that are just about the same size as these.

No comments: